For Teachers & Librarians
Ordering Info for Classrooms and Libraries
Order direct by sending us an email or by calling Tanglewood at 812.877.9488.
Order from your favorite Independent bookseller. Many of them have special discounts and services for teachers. To find the store closest to you, visit Indiebound.org.
Many wholesalers supply Tanglewood Press books. Order from Baker and Taylor, Brodart, BWI, Follett Library Resources, Ingram and Mackin.
Resources on this site
To find our how our books meet the Common Core State Standards, click here.
Visit our Book Activities
page - you'll find downloadable activities and ideas
for many of our picture books there.
Listed below you'll find curriculum guides that will support using Tanglewood press titles in your classroom or library:
- 68 Knots - discussion questions
- Ashfall - curriculum guide
- Chengli and the Silk Road Caravan - study guide. Activities and discussions suggested in the guide connect to the following English Language Arts Common Core State Standards:
RL 5.6.1, 5.6.2, 5.6.3, 5.6.4, 5.6.5, 5.6.9
RI 5.6.7, 5.9
SL 5.6.1, 5.6.4
W 5.6.1, 5.6.2, 5.6.4, 5.6.7, 5.6.8 5.6.9
- It All Began With a Bean - science curriculum guide, about the process of digestion
- My Dog, My Cat - classroom activity kit
- Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove - curriculum guide, with Social Science questions, essay topics and Language Arts: reading comprehension, vocabulary and literary analysis. Essays posed in the guide connect to the following English Language Arts Common Core State Standards:
RL 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
SL 5.1, 5.4
W 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
- The Rock of Ivanore - study guide. Activities and discussions suggested in the guide connect to the following English Language Arts Common Core State Standards:
RL 5.6.1, 5.6.2, 5.6.3, 5.6.4, 5.6.5, 5.6.9
SL 5.6.1, 5.6.3, 5.6.4
W 5.6.1, 5.6.3
- Surviving the Angel of Death - teacher's guide. Questions posed in the guide connect to the following English Language Arts Common Core State Standards:
RI 6.1, 6.2, 6.4
W 6.1, 6.2, 6.3
- The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Fairies - teacher's guide
- Two Moon Princess - discussion questions
- Wolf Camp - writing exercises
Find out more about our authors and illustrators by visiting their websites.
Audrey Penn - Book Resources
The Kissing Hand series
There are activities on this website to use with young children. Click here for activities about The Kissing Hand.
Teachers have created many wonderful lesson plans and educational activities using The Kissing Hand. Here are links to some of them:
Other Picture Books by Audrey Penn
A.D.D Not B.A.D helps children understand the dynamics of Attention Deficit Disorder. The website ADD in School provides information about modifying your teaching with ADHD students; room set-up to accommodate students; and ideas to help ADHD students with organization and social skills. Resources for parents are also included.
In the story The Whistling Tree a young girl learn about her Cherokee roots. These websites have a wealth of information about the rich Cherokee heritage:
The Blackbeard Quartet
There is a curriculum guide for Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove on this site. The Language Arts section covers reading comprehension, vocabulary and literary analysis. Social Science questions and essay topics are also included. This curriculum guide is intended for use with middle grade students.
Here are some selected web sites about Blackbeard and pirates of the Eastern Seaboard:
This National Geographic site includes an educational game, facts about different pirates, including Blackbeard
- Pirate Map
In this lesson, students will learn the reasons pirates frequented certain areas, taking into account the relationship between piracy and the slave trade. For Grades 3-5.
- Blackbeard: The Most Feared Pirate of the Atlantic
Students will acquire information about Blackbeard through primary resources and apply their knowledge to create a newspaper article concerning his life. For Grade 4.
More information about Audrey Penn
- Read a biography of Audrey Penn.
- For more about Audrey Penn, and information about her educational series, The Writing Penn, visit her official site .
Tanglewood Author and Illustrator Websites
We're proud of our authors and illustrators! Find out more about them by visiting their websites:
Please limit photocopying and distribution of our activities and curriculums to fair educational use. Thank you!